Compatibility testing, part of software non-functional system tests, is testing performed on the application program to evaluate the application’s compatibility with the computing environment. Your client base uses a wide variety of OSs, browsers, databases, servers, clients, and hardware. Dissimilar versions, configurations, display resolutions, and web connect speeds altogether can impact the behaviour of your software and bring in costly and blocking bugs.
Computing environment might comprise some or all of the below cited elements:
• Computing capacity of computer hardware Platform (IBM 460, HP 9800, etc.)..
• Bandwidth covering capacity by networking hardware
• Compatibility of peripherals (Printer, DVD drive, etc.)
• Operating system (Novell, UNIX, Windows, etc.)
• Databases (Oracle, Sybase, DB2, etc.)
• Additional System Software (Web server, networking/ messaging tool, etc.)
• Web browser compatibility (Firefox, Netscape, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.)
Web browser compatibility validation, can be more suitably concerned to as user experience testing. This requires that the online application program are validated on different web browsers, to ascertain the following:
• End users have the same visual feel regardless of the browsers through which they view the web application.
• In conditions of functionality, the application must act and respond the same way across different browsers.
• Carrier compatibility (Verizon, Sprint, Orange, O2, AirTel, etc.)
• Backwards compatibility.
• Hardware (different phones)
• Different Compilers (compile the code correctly)
• Operates on multiple host/guest Emulators
Certification testing comes inside the scope of Compatibility testing. Product Vendors execute the complete suite of testing on the newer computing environment to make their application certified for a particular Operating Systems or Databases.